Friday, February 01, 2008

Creating a Map Slide Show ....


I had an interesting problem today and found a good workaround ... I use mindmanager to create maps that are sometimes related when I like to hyperlink ideas ... this is useful as I use the mapping to create concepts and present them ... today I needed to put all the projects together into a Portfolio of Projects ... well it is easy in mindmanager as you simply hyperlink the different projects to your master overview ... notice the little mindmap icons that signify the hyperlinks ... this was all well and good, but I wanted to create a pdf to hand out and send to clients that would give them the detail as if we were drilling down on the map ...

Well, here is where another program I use to save paper comes in ... fineprint is a program that I have been using for years .. it allows you to take print jobs and collate, combine, send to different media, etc .. .just a great all around utility (I particularly like to print 2 or even 4 up to cut down on paper) ... it also allows you to print and then defer doing the job, so you have all of the printouts in one file ... SO ... I first printed this map, then hit the links in order and printed each as I deferred the job ... when I got all the maps printed, I then sent the job to my pdf printer and VOILA ... maps and the drill downs just like having the map and opening the details just like on my desktop ...

No comments: