Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Managing Info Overload ...

The daily struggle to keep up with reading and info may have finally met its match ... after years of trying to get to a good system, I think I have gotten to a workable solution for my needs ... let me highlight the use of several products that are now in the arsenal ...

I start with Evernote as my basic capture and store mechanism because of the speed and ease .... by using the universal clipper that resides on my windows tray, I can call up the clipper function and create a new note with whatever I am reading ... this is the start of the process and can sometimes be the only capture necessary ... the notes are completely hypertexted so I can call up any and all things that are related simply by typing in a broad topic ... the clipper allows you to capture either the full screen or area as defined by you or I like to highlight text from a window and then just hit the clipper button to nicely put the info including the links right in the searchable note ...

The second item is my print of the note to OneNote .. I like to back the info up to a second location for reference later ... actually, this is the place that I go to when I have downtime or on trips while travelling ... it is a storehouse of tips and processes that I like to reference time and time again ... by using the print to onenote function, I easily put the note now in onenote ... I also use the onenote pages to annotate (by annotating and highlighting in color the emphasis is easily shared with others) and further flag for putting together papers or ideas when I am researching something ... my onenote and Evernote are backed up to my X61t through Foldershare so I have current info always when I leave to go out or travel ...

I will sometimes also use my onenote notes then after annotation and highlighting by printing to a pdf file for sending out to my colleagues .... this system works well and is super fast ... by simply storing in evernote and then sending info to onenote later, your flow is barely interuppted and you can make sure you always keep your info available ... works for me ....

No comments: