Saturday, February 09, 2008

Easing the Path ... the Flow ...


Long time readers will know how I like to refine things to add to the flow of my work ... well I got to thinking yesterday after my last post on the idea incubator and that this is such a good idea but I wanted it not to be isolated but integrated into a flow for my workspace ... well, after searching through my older maps, I came up with one I called TOM or Top of Mind map ... I started playing with the idea and it is not far away from the dashboard idea that may use, but I think these little tweaks suit my work style far better than what I have seen out there ...

The GyroQ application that Gyronix produces has some neat features that I highlight here in the map ... notice the reference to tag feature .. well, you can customize the tabs that the app has and it simply inserts into my new TOM map the ideas ... once they are there, it is simple to move it to another section (see the item I moved to the Idea Incubator) ... notice that I have the little mind map icon there ... that is a hyperlink to the map I presented yesterday ... once I open that hyperlink, I can copy any good ideas directly to the incubator for further work down the line ... one last aside, the GyroQ will allow a lot of configuration, not the least of which is the ability to send the output to maps of your choosing, so thus I have the TOM mindmap as my basic brain dump ...

The beauty of this system is that it can be made to fit your flow and highlight those things that your needs will dictate ... I am always considering ideas, some of them need to be added to ongoing projects, some need to be sent to the incubator, some simply become action items to come back to, some .... you can see how to tailor the map to your flow and make it as innocuous a capture process as I have found ...

No comments: