Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Melding Post It Notes and Maps ....


Like the mind meld that Spock would do in the old Star Trek ... getting information to then get to logical solutions has always been a task that is more an art than a science ... rather an odd statement as art and science seem at odds and yet the melding of the processes can often lead to the best of the solutions ... so much for philosophy ... on to the task...

I read a book a while back, Rapid Problem Solving with Post-it Notes by David Straker ... in this book from 1997 he outlined a way to solve problems using the tool that everyone has on their desk ... the yellow notes that seem to have a home on virtually every flat surface available ... his book outlines methods of getting solution sets by chunking information and drawing associations within groupings, etc .. to eventually solve a defined problem. Since originally reading the book and actually processing information in the manner prescribed I have migrated to MindManager as my tool and the computer screen as my post it board ... I remembered the utility that the original methods had on my skill set and decided to revisit the book and bring it current with the new technology ... I will present this in a short series of posts so you can absorb the information in chunks (love the metaphor ...) more to follow ....

No comments: