Friday, February 10, 2006

Mobile Setup ... Finally !!!

After working hard on my hardware configuration, I have finally arrived at a workable (read allowing me to work efficiently) setup for my trusty Motion M1400 .... it has been almost a year and what has kept me going is my daily dose of blogging and trying different setups ... I have had many tries ...
1) hardtop keyboard and wireless mouse ... first try was this and I took it on a trip to Vietnam and Thailand ... both hotels had ethernet hookups and it worked well except for the setup was cramped and seemed constraining to me, it was also problematic on plane trips as the lowering of a seat presented problems ... I noticed that my amount and speed in doing things degraded - let me digress for a minute, at home I have a flexdock and I feed the video to an external 17" LCD and use a Logitech MX7000 wireless desktop ... also have a Seagate 80G drive mirroring my Motion with multiple input devices tied on USB external hubs (Logitech USB headset for voice and Ipevo handset for Skype
2) Motion bluetooth keyboard coupled with field case and wireless mouse ... this was a great combo, but it took up a bit more space than I like ... the open position was a little flimsy as the computer LCD unit was heavy and the case was rather flexible at the joint ... it always seemed a tad askew and that consistently bothered me ... took up too much space for travel ... good for trips down to Borders and quick jaunts as the unit was well protected ....
3) Minimalist attempt ... I traveled to Honolulu for a weekend and got an email that needed work on while I was there ... I had intended to just take the slate with nothing else in my travel bag ... always happens doesn't it ... I needed to do a document and spreadsheet and was not fast enough with the pen yet ... went to CompUSA and got a flexible keyboard (it actually rolled up for travel) and a good notebook mouse ... used a phonebook and small book to prop my slate and worked away ... went to Starbucks later and sent out the email on time and done well ...
4) I noticed on a blog that there was a special on the ThinkOutside bluetooth keyboard AND mouse for around $100 ... couldn't hardly pass that up, so I sent off for it and was pleasantly surprised with my final setup (subject to new gadgets, of course) well, the bluetooth hookup with the M1400 was a snap ... the keyboard is SMALL and light ... I used to use a similar one with my Palm units, so I am familiar with the typing ...
SO HERE IT IS .... foldup bluetooth keyboard and mouse, cheap plastic easel that comes with the motion units and a Seagate 5G pocket drive for backup and data transfer (used to use a key drive, but wanted to take all my work files ... about 4G, so this was cheapest solution) all nicely carried and put in a Swiss Army Messenger Bag that holds volumes more stuff ... this is my unit now for travel and remote work ... still a work in progress but more a 2.0 than a beta at this stage .....

No comments: