Monday, February 13, 2006

Email ... can you be too redundant ...

For many years and iterations, the search for the best email solution was likened to the search for the holy grail .... In the days or yore, it was a simple Outlook or Outlook Express answer and seemingly simple and straightforward ... enter the age of Spam (not the Hormel variety) and the need for protection from the various types of nasties that inhabit that great frontier we call the internet.

Well, I have tried all sorts of spam blockers and antivirus setups and they all had their pros and cons. One of the moreinteresting setups was an internet client called OddPost (recently bought by Yahoo and the basis of the new Yahoo Mail beta service) ... it was quick and looked at lot like the Outlook (small learning curve) and when used in tandem with a spam filter, worked great ... Then came Gmail and the wonderful search capability and threaded conversations ... a whole new way to look and index your mail ... this was a great step forward as you no longer have to compartmentalize in your folders the nature of the email and conversation ... there are numerous other things I have tried, but I think you can see the evolution here ... now my present solution and the idea of redundancy ....

In my travels I have had multiple clients, and it was always a problem archiving information ... let me digress for a moment ... I found that using Mozilla Thunderbird on my Tablet was a great client to use, fast, not a resource hog, stable, and always under development ... so the solution was to have all the spam filtering and gathering (3 web addresses to gather) in the Yahoo Mail client on the net and then using the Thunderbird to get the mail down to my local computer ... the benefits are that there were two strong spam filters operating on the flow and it virtually eliminated the spam flow, I could also keep copies on the web and on my computer as I saw fit ... I have travelled to the far east and used the yahoo box extensively while in remote locations without my main machine.

Now the final solution (as final as today gets) ... I then use the gmail box by taking all outgoing from the Thunderbird client by having a bcc to my gmail account. Now, every reply will go to the gmail box where I archive the whole conversation ... the gmail search has saved me several times already as everything is searchable and fast ... This has proven to be a very effective and quick means of taming the email beast ... as I started, redundant is good as email is one of the critical means of communication that you just cannot afford to lose .....

No comments: