Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Extending the mind by using the Brain ....


Hmmm .... did that get your attention ... good, I have been using this extension of the thought process to help with memory and projects for several years now and thought I would share my use and point you to the download for you to try it for yourself ....

When I am working on projects, it seems like good ideas pass through the mind quickly and if not noted or followed will end up in the old recycle bin in the sky ... well enter the Brain it is a neat app that stays loaded and accessible at a moments notice on my screen .... it tries to mimic the thought collection process in your mind ... it creates a complex web of interconnected things like thoughts that can be gotten within a few clicks of the mouse. I use it to put all relevant links to web sites, documents, thoughts, etc into a labled area that can be connected easily to other areas to show relationships and thought processes ... I have included a clip of their website that illustrates at the very top a "plex" or their parlance for a brain or collection (you can have multiple brains) but I prefer having all thoughts in one place. You can see the interconnections, click on one and the plex transforms itself to key in on that "thought" ... I love the interface and how you can quickly navigate your thinking and saved thoughts ... I like to compartmentalize all links and that way can quickly come back to a project and be at speed, that is considering all the files and links that I usually have when putting together a project ... this save an enormous amount of work when you try and reconstruct your path ...

Learning curve can be high on this one, but I think it worth an exploration if you have the inclination ... I tend to leave it and come back regularly as old thoughts never die in that little portion of cyberspace ....

No comments: