Monday, March 06, 2006

Desktop Setup ... Tablet PC and Monitor ....

Discovered today a super neat way of finally harnessing the power of the tablet PC while at my desk and not being tied to the smaller screen (for all you vision challenged gen x'ers ), I have been using a flexdock for my Motion 1400 and a 19" monitor at a 1280 X 1078 resolution so I would have more real estate to work in ... that is a great setup, EXCEPT when you want to ink something ... well, watch carefully now and I will show you how to do nicely ...

There is a way to mirror or run an extended desktop to run two monitors from the intel graphics card that is in the unit. The problem is that the resolution cannot be set independently so a compromise is always made. Enter UtlraMon by Realtime Soft ... this totally slick app takes your monitor and allows you to use both as if you had two separate operating areas ... it even allows you to have the task bar spanning both screens and will have the programs running on the respective screens in that task bar (unbelievable) ... you can do all sorts of things with it (see the feature section) but the main thing for me is running my large monitor in the higher res and allowing me to ink if I need to ... I have the Motion set up in the flex dock to the left of my 19" monitor .. it is normally set upright, but when I need to ink, it can lay down for a nice inking surface ... too neat ... I have been trying all sorts of combinations to try and allow me to do this, now it is happening with this setup ... you can even run more monitors to really go crazy, but two is enough for me ... anything to add to productivity ... I actually have Thunderbird email client running on my tablet while running Firefox on the monitor ... makes for a really quick way of working ... the cursor smoothly passes between screens, so it seems very natural to work this way ... just did this and am exploring ... try it, it is amazing ...

No comments: