Friday, February 20, 2009

Whose problem is it anyway ...

If you work in the cloud or rely on internet services you've got to have run into this problem ... you are buzzing along and all of a sudden things stop working ... you now go into full fledged panic .. what happened? did I accidentally hit the wrong key? is my internet connection down? is my service down? did I pay the electric bill? (well maybe in that case there would be other overt signs ...) anyway, you get the drift ....

Having faced that dilema and done all the reboot, reinstall, plug and unplug drills to no avail .. it seems the next thing is to search the net for answers ... well in reading Thursday Bram's excellent Stepcase Lifehack blog she penned an excellent read in "How to Deal when Your Favorite Application Goes Down".

Here is her solution (just wish I had read this sooner) ... "My initial plan has two parts. First, I visit DownForEveryoneOrJustMe.com. Just type in the site that you’re having problems with on the front page and you’ll get an immediate response on whether the site is up or down. It’s an extremely simple approach, useful as an initial check. My second stop is usually Twitter. Many Twitter users have gotten into the habit of posting about their problems with applications almost immediately. Visiting Search.Twitter.com and looking for a specific application name can give you a good idea of who’s having problems."


Will file this in things to do before throwing computer out the window ....

No comments: