Friday, February 20, 2009

Keeping it all together with MM8 & Friends ...

I have been feverishly working on a presentation that was a mashup of lots of current works in progress and an entirely new concept ... I'm sure this scenario plays itself out myriads of times for all of us, happens too frequently in my day ... seems I have to get all my files together each time and keep so many items open on my desktop just to make sure items and info are at hand as I work. i.e. I had files open from my google docs, an excel spreadsheet, a couple of word docs and assorted pdf's ... thinking about my recent exploration in mashing info up from google services, I thought maybe this was the way to go ... indeed it was !!!

Take a look at this dummy map that I made ... I can have hyperlinks set to all my docs within my cloud of services on the net (including foxmarks to get to research that has been bookmarked) and files on the machine (although I could make this entirely web based by going to my files in my dropbox) ... the big SECRET is that the new embedded browser feature in MindManager 8 that allows you to switch between your items right there in the map ... everything is a click away, especially if you use all the web based items ... taking info from one doc and pasting into your working doc is simply too easy this way ... thus assembling things from multiple sources is so much more efficient and less distracting ... also when you start up again, you are instantly up to speed. I found this to be exceptionally useful and saved a LOT of time and wasted energy ... by using the organizational strength of MM8 and the cloud, I was able to work with greater focus and much more efficiently ... hope this works for you like it did for me ....

PS ... remember the earlier posts dealing with emails and tasks .. by converting emails to docs using the google docs, you can include your entire trail of exchanged info and comments within your map for reference ...

No comments: