Friday, February 06, 2009

Side Project Overload ...



I read an outstanding article on Managing My Time and Avoiding Side Project Overload on one of my everyday reads, WebWorkerDaily ... this read spurred me to thinking about this problem as it seems day to day, there is so much to do and so little time to do it ... one of the biggest problems I have and I think most people who are working on multiple opportunities is to focus on what will be revenue generating ... this is the key to survival in these tough times .. anything to keep focusing on this main window can help ...

With that in mind and after thinking more from this article ... it started to make a lot of sense ... distractions and side projects are good to spur creativity, but the proper amount of time and effort will lead to success and the ability to keep doing what you love ... I created a quick map to highlight this concept ... the numbers on how much time (I used daily and weekly for sake of illustration) are in the diagram ... this is a simple guide and starting point ... but the focus on revenue generating items and how much time to allocate to them is something each of you will have to answer ... there is no rigidity to the system, it is a guide ... a reminder to allocate time to functions that pay the bills ... while still taking care of the longer term and diversions ... balance can be described by this illustration ... use this as a starting point after reading the article and deciding how to frame your efforts ....

No comments: