Monday, February 16, 2009

Using MM8 & RTM to GTD ...

If you followed that title you are among the elite or just have too much time to follow your curiosity (actually a great pastime, some call it futzing .. I like that!). As I explored more uses of the browser in MindManger 8, I realized that there was a very cool way of implementing the super todo manager, Remember the Milk, to not only do todos, but to manage followups, tasks, and items of interest ... all of this has emerged because of several neat switches that are now used in gMail ... let me walk you through how I implement this and you can play to your hearts content ...

In the first shot, I have sent an email to my gmail box ... I have the RembertheMilk addin that has the RTM list on my right pane in my main gMail window (screenshot 2) ... notice in 1 that there is an option to create task .. when you do that, the task goes to RTM directly ... and will appear on the pane ...

The third shot shows the actual RTM web site ... there are two ways to rename the task .. you can do it right on the gMail pane (I usually do that ...) or on the site ... you can edit the title (I usually do ... ) then put a priorty on it, and then the most important I can either erase the due date so it just appears undated at bottom of the list or give it a due date and that way have reference to date in the future ... one other neat thing on this I have email notification on the tasks, so as they come due, they will automatically appear in my gMail directly ... cool ...

MM8 (screenshot 4) allows a direct link to the RTM website for clarity ... you now have your GTD functionality right in the map and linked directly to your gMail box ... one of the key points also is that in the gMail pane, when you mouseover (see final screenshot) the circled envelope icon will now bring back the email that you refenced with the item ... I cannot tell you how much valuable time has been saved by using this tip ... you get a todo item a couple weeks from now, go to it and open the email .. up to speed in a flash ... great stuff ....

No comments: