Sunday, May 21, 2006

Power for the Long Haul ....


Ok, after searching and searching and trying and trying ... I think I have a really good solution for travel and powering a unit for a LONG flight ... I have had to power my tablet on several trips to the Far East, and there really was no good solution to power over a 15 or so hour flight ... it was time with ipod and movies and maybe half the time working. I have a Motion M1400 and used to carry with me 2 extra batteries in my case to give me the time I needed when I was working ... I have an iGo juice 70 that has power plugs that will work on the plane as well as in the room, but most coach seats do not have power plugs, so scratch that ....

There are actually two problems here, first is the actual power solution and the second is the way to package it .... well, here goes ... I have purchased a generic Lithium Ion battery on Ebay that had capacity of 130 WH which I figured would give me about the capacity of 3 batteries .... the main thing was a quick recharge time and adequate capacity ... I was able to buy one on ebay for about $125 delivered ... there are lots of choices, so try and get the most flexibility on output configurations so even if you change units, it may still work for you ... anyway, I have used this unit and it works great for me ... I used my tablet until I got a low battery warning, then plugged the unit in. It looks like an external charging source as within an hour or so I was back to a full charge and the battery still had 3 of 4 lights, so my calculations should be pretty close ... figuring 3 full charges plus the battery, I should have a good 12 hours ... I have a second battery, so my 15hr target is made ...

Now I like to carry the bag pictured as it is compact and enough space for short trips or to carry on coupled with another bag through baggage for long trips ... this is a Samsonite under seat unit that does fit UNDER the seat on most planes (light enough to put overhead, but more convenient under) ... if you notice in the photo, my battery cable is coming out the bottom of the unit .... this bag has an access zipper on the bottom of the bag, super configuration and makes for flexible orientation for you ... the battery adds a little over a pound, but because you have wheels on the bag, it doesn't matter ... I am sure that this will give others ideas on how to configure the Mobile Musing power for the long haul .....

No comments: