Monday, May 08, 2006

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify ....

Like in real estate (Location, Location, Location) the three most important words for one who travels is Simplify, Simplify, Simplify .... I am forever searching for the holy grail of ease of travel, so here is where I am now ...

After the travails that I gave on the last post, I am configured to use a cleaner flow of information ... I have found that it is buggy to use Outlook and all it's great features (read complexity) ... I still use it in the chain, but only now when offline ... let me first describe the email solution ... I have Yahoo Mail Premium (my old Oddpost account) that aggregates my different mailservers ... the raw feed comes into the box and is subject to good spam and virus filtering ... when I am travelling it can function as totally remote work without any other resources, so this remains as my fallback ... now the second crucial step ... I use Thundbird as my email client on the tablet as it seems clean and fast .. the one unique thing that I do is forward by bcc all of my replies to my gmail box (again, for remote access, but really for the superior way gmail allows me find things ... in the case where I just want to index, I will simply send the email to myself ... now on my yahoo box I will save in my folder, in the thunderbird resides another copy and seachable now in my gmail ... SO ... I have all my emails now remotely or on my desktop as I need them ...

For my contacts and PIM functions I use several things, but ease use is key ... I use GoBinder for my repository of information for meetings and inking functions ... it keeps my todo list, etc and projects ... this works great as it has the best inking support for me and I use it for meetings and travel ... I have found the the other web based system called Airset is another great cog in the wheel, it will synch seamlessly with outlook, so I don't have to load outlook, just keep the info current by using Airset and then synching at intervals or before trips ... one particularly useful function is the ability to modify the notes on the contacts, that I use to contemporaneously make notes on meetings, etc .... it is all easy and fast on Airset, then I synch and if I am not connected to the web, I can open Outlook and have all the current info .... works like a charm ... I am toying with the lists function in Airset and it looks like it can serve as my master todo ... but more on that in a later blog ....

No comments: