Monday, May 08, 2006

Ultimate Bummer .... Reformat Drive C ...

I've been quiet lately because the ultimate problem surfaced ... a boot failure on my trusty tablet PC ... after over a year of constant use (now my only machine) ... last week, the dreaded blue screen showed the OS to be corrupted (had visions of this earlier, as the computer was getting a little ornery on some recent software installs ...)well the basic problem lay in the system not being able to boot after many
"experts" and help desks ... the only answer was to reformat and pray it wasn't hardware related ...

Let me digress to help you understand why I had only one machine and felt I could be OK with this ... I am using a Tablet PC that I dearly love and have had great luck with from both a travelling and remote use (client offices) ... I cannot see ever going back to another form factor as the slate fits my work style perfectly and the weight is the only way to fly (3.1 lbs) ... I was running a laptop and desktop and using folder share to mirror all changes on my machine to my other machines ... so that left me with three identical sets of data on three different computers ... this worked well as when I was traveling, the foldershare would synch automatically with my desktop that is always on ... well, my setup did require 3 different installs of my software, so the update and upgrades were getting a little onerous on this configuration ... so it was decided about 6 months ago that I would have only one machine and keep all my data in multiple places ... I found this little program called Mirror Folder that suited my needs perfectly ... I used this with a Seagate external USB drive and mirrored in real time all of my drive ... works like a charm ... when I travel I have a 5g pocket drive that I use Synch Toy to synch the data on so I have another remote storage unit ....

Back to the story ... SO, I now had a machine that I needed to recover and I had the disks, so there started the clean new machine and all the updates .... the Mirror Folder worked like a charm as all my data (in fact, all of my machine) was on the external drive ... so as I loaded the programs I was able to reorganize everything and now have a much better functioning computer ... it is really great, all the data up to the failure and a new machine to boot ... life is good !!!

A final note, I left my data (cleaned up some of the stuff I don't need and mirrored again today, so now I have my old data, and being mirrored from here ... great stuff and truly a life saver ....

No comments: