Monday, June 29, 2009

Syncing, the key to the Cloud…

In this first installment of this series I’d like to highlight what I feel is what started my quest and what enables effective use of multiple computer setups and also working remotely by utilizing a transparent method of keeping key files always current.

Let me digress as I started this journey when I found a really great syncing application called Foldershare which served me will for many years … the sync app was supposed to keep my data synchronized between multiple machines so I would not have to worry about working on the current file or creating something on one computer and then transferring it when I worked on another … you simply download a client piece of software on all your computers you want coordinated, designate the folders to sync, and let the app work its magic … enter Microsoft who also thought this was a great service and who then bought it and rebranded it as Windows Live Sync … for some of you, having Microsoft behind the app may be a good thing, so your search can stop here … for all others, here is where I went …

image I found Dropbox after searching and watching tech blogs who highlighted this as one of the best out there … I moved all my syncs to Dropbox by migrating all the folders I had put into Foldershare into my new Dropbox folder … I found the sync to be quicker and more reliable as far as keeping the proper versions of my files in order … another great feature is web access to my folder, as this allowed me to access my data when I travelled and didn’t have proper access to my own travel computer.  Another great feature of this is the ability to go back to a revised document … this saved my skin when I accidently overwrote a file .. simple to go to my folder on the web and revert to previous version … by downloading and saving I was able to sidestep a major disaster in the making …

image  I was fine with Dropbox until I hit limits to the initial account (cost is always a consideration) … I started to search again and found SugarSync … several bloggers that I follow raved about it … so I signed up and am running them side by side on my computers … I have to say that they both do all the things I have come to expect … at this moment because I have far less data on the Sugar folders, it seems much quicker in execution … we’ll have to see how that is when I fill them up … Both application fulfill all my needs and function great … you could use either as I can tell and both offer free accounts of 2G to try … The annual subscriptions offer much larger storage options for those of you into photos and music … the prices for the next level are $99 for 50G on dropbox and $50 for 30G on sugar on an annual basis … try them both on the free accounts … I think you will like the quick and unobtrusive syncing that these applications allow … never having to say you’re sorry for your current files is priceless ….

No comments: