Friday, August 29, 2008

A New Paradigm ...

I have just realized something that may be obvious to a lot of people, but hit me upside the head today .... let me give you a little background .... this past weekend I was anticipating watching the Olympic Basketball gold medal game between the US and Spain ... being here in Hawaii, the schedules of the live broadcasts were all over the map ... kinda like the game, anyway I happened to go to the olympics on NBC website and noticed a live feed of the game ... I downloaded the obligatory Silverlight by MS and proceeded to watch the game unfold ... I noted the quality was so much better than I was used to on the net and how enjoyable it was ... in fact, I called a couple of other people and they did the same .....

The significance of this was lost on me until I read this morning a great blog entry on TechCrunch by Steve Gillmor that talked of the move from downloaded to streaming as the next model of entertainment distribution ... now is makes all the sense in the world ... with recent news that Comcast is proposing to limit download amounts and all the music efforts to quash P2P sharing .. this makes all fits ... the era of streaming is now riding the wave of ubiquitous broadband. Media and events will be streamed live and recorded and we will be able to view on an entirely different model ... like Netflix changed the model on video rentals and Google changed the model on mail and office apps, the era of streaming enterainment represents another shift for consumers ...

Being mobile may take on an entirely differenct meaning with this and the other new shifts into the "cloud" ...

No comments: