Saturday, February 24, 2007

Day 1 and counting ....

Packed my trusty M1400 and mailed out yesterday back to Motion for a repair ... that was total stress ... the tablet is my primary, read only, work machine .... I knew this was going to be the acid test for several things that I had been working on as I was trying to get to the truly mobile configuration ... let me start with two configurations ... both aimed at giving me portable apps in a small form factor that I could use when I travel ....

1) U3 equipped 2G flash drive ... I went to the U3 downloads and configured the flash with open office and firefox ... then I configured firefox with my normal browser add ins ... fasterfox, delicious bookmarks, and a nice theme .... a little limited because the firefox is a 1.5 version, but nonetheless a great browser ...

2) 5G Seagate pocket hard drive that I used Portable Apps and loaded the same thing but configured the browser to my normal as it is a 2.0 version.

Both of these I then loaded with my current work files that I figured I might need ... I used synch programs to put the data on the drives ... now here is where it gets a little tricky ...

I rely on MindManager for a lot of sythesis of ideas and starting writing and projects ... I have hundreds of maps and I could not carry the mindmanager program on the drives so I needed a workaround ... I mentioned yesterday MindMeister ... it works as described and answers the call ... my plan is to keep all work on the net if at all possible, including using Google docs to store attachments, etc that I need to work on ... well the MindMeister map that I worked on today was as I would have used the MindManager normally (a little slower - small price to pay for the ability to map) ... worked like a charm and is saved on the net ... later on I can take the map into MindManager easily as it has a export to rtf that I can then import into MindManager when I get my machine back ... Voila !!!! actually quite liberating as I have worked on the map on three different machines and three different locations .. just open it up and not skip a beat ...

In the next installment I will elaborate on how I am managing the work by using just the browser ... truly portable working situation ....

No comments: